Bonnie's Bakers

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Double-Strawberry Scones

This is another one I got from Aunt Karma that I wanted to try before I put it on so I could have a picture. But I will just have to add one when I make it. It sounds so good. I think she makes these for Uncle Kent's Seminary kids. I wish I had him as a teacher.

2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons, sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries (optional)
2 Tablespoons snipped basil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup half-and-half or milk
sugar

Preheat oven to 400. In large bowl stir together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Gently toss in fresh and freeze-dried strawberries and basil. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
In a medium bowl stir together eggs and half-and-half. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once. Using a large spoon, gently stir just until moistened.
Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it 5 to 7 times, turning dough a quarter turn after each fold. Transfer to a lightly floured parchment-lined baking sheet. Pat or lightly roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Cut circle into wedges and pull apart slightly.
Brush wedges with additional half-and-half and sprinkle with sugar. Bake about 16 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftover scones; reheat 15 seconds in microwave. Makes 12 scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment