Bonnie's Bakers

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Grandma Bonnie's Jello Popcorn Balls

Grandma Bonnie always made these for Halloween. She must have spent hours making them because she always had a ton of them for all the Trick-or-Treaters. And she always gave me more than just one in my bag. Then we would eat them every time we went up to her house for days. I always love to make one of Grandma's recipes, I talk to her while I am cooking and ask what I am supposed to do next, or tell her she needs to help me make it right. When I made these it was no different but what caught me off guard was the next morning when I was getting out the toaster and I caught a whiff of the popcorn and jello. I couldn't believe how fast it took me back to Grandma and Grandpa's kitchen.
A few years ago I asked if anyone had this recipe and Mandy sent it to me. I am so happy someone was smart enough to get it from Grandma because I'm sure it wasn't something she had written down. And most of the time when you say "I'm looking for a recipe for Jello Popcorn Balls because my Grandma made popcorn balls with jello and they are the best" people look at you like you are crazy. I decided to make them for JD's Valentine's Day Party.

1 big raspberry jello box (not sugar free)(I used strawberry because I didn't have raspberry)

1 cup sugar

1 cup Karo

2 bags popcorn


Bring everything but popcorn to boil over medium heat, stirring often. By the time it comes to a boil it shouldn't be super grainy. Take off heat and pour over popped popcorn in a large bowl. Stir and stir until it is well coated.

Grandma must have started making balls very soon after she poured the mixture over the popcorn but it is very hot. We ate dinner and got it cleaned up before I made mine and it was kind of hard to make sick together. When I was making them I was thinking how Grandma did it when they were so hot. But then I remember her and Grandpa pulling taffy when it was super hot too. She must have just been used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment